REFCLOCK rises again

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Tue Mar 5 18:36:36 UTC 2019

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
>> That would leave the configure option.  I've never used it.

I did.  It's one of the few ways you can change (some) things around
without haveing to re-start ntpd, with all the chaff that produces.

> I think we can justify both removals on security. If Mode 6 is a
> read-only channel there can never be any exploits over it.  That's
> a significant gain in provable bulletproofness.
>
> You want to reconfure your ntpd?  Bounce it. This won't happen often.

Depends.  While you're trying to figure out the correct fudge times for
instance you need a fully converged ntpd to see what's going on.  If I
have to restart ntpd each time I want to adjust that, it needs quite
some time (can be a few hours) before looking at the result makes sense
again.

> I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet - Achim or Matt or someone else
> might come up with a blocking objection - but you're making a strong case.

I'll happily let you drop configuration via ntpq if you give me a USR
signal that lets me do such changes without destroying the values in the
currently running instance.  I don't care if it restarts or
re-configures, really -- but the internal ntpd state (modulo the
configuration changes) needs to be the same after.

Regards,
Achim.