How not to design a wire protocol

Daniel Franke dfoxfranke at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:29:30 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 7:21 AM Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> You yourself advocated that Mode 6 ought to be replaced by an HTTP
> service on TCP port 123. I think that's a good idea, if we can do
> it. The problem is than NTS-KE *also* wants to have TCP 123.

Like Hal pointed out, ALPN makes this a non-issue. But what gave you
the idea that NTS-KE wants 123/tcp? There's been some back-and-forth
on this in the WG but I've been advocating against using 123 because
NTS-KE is explicitly not specific to NTP and can be extended to
provide similar negotiation mechanisms for other protocols.
Regardless, it's just a number and makes no technical difference.