REFCLOCK rises again

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Mar 5 05:40:55 UTC 2019

> Do you have an example of where we need to change a driver variable on the fly?

No, I'm bothered because I'm (a) not sure we'll never need to do it, and (b)
pretty sure what the Dread God Finagle will arrange if I assume we won't. :-)

> >> We need to be able to run gpsmon while it is feeding data to ntpd.  Replace
> >> gps with your favorite refclock.
>
> > You'll have to say more, I can't unpack this.
>
> I want to be able to run something like gpsmon while the driver is connected
> to ntpd.  If we use SHM, I know how to make the client side read only so we
> can have any number of clients.
>
> I don't know how to do something similar with pipes.  I'm willing to do
> something like a TCP listener .  Maybe an internal SHM interface and a thread
> per pipe.

Um, yes.  That might be tricky.  You're describing a general oroblem
with any form of serrial IPC, as opposed to a sharable mailbix.

It's a pretty strong point in SHM's favor.  Thanks for making me think about this.