SO_TIMESTAMP may go away

Daniel Franke dfoxfranke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 13:28:04 UTC 2019

If you try to measure the cost of the authentication code using log
messages you're going to get total noise, because the cost of logging
a message is higher than the cost of doing the authentication. Each
invocation of AES-SIV should take, in round numbers, 250 CPU cycles,
and processing a typical request should take four invocations (unseal
cookie, unseal message, seal new cookie, seal message), with only the
final one being in the critical section.