What's left to doo on NTS.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Mar 3 05:23:51 UTC 2019

esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> My big concern is that nobody else seems to be testing it.  There may be
>> dragons that I haven't poked.
> Understood.  Unfortunately I myself can't be much help here - my outside view
> of NTP is still weak, I have only limited ability to recognize what normal
> operation should look like or spot deviations from it.  Gary or Achim or Matt
> would be better for that end of things.

I'm not worried about subtle problems.(*)  I'm interested in the big picture.
Is there too much crap in the log file?  Does the reach column in ntpq -p look
reasonable?  ...

The other half of the big picture is setting up certificates.

---------

*) There is actually one interesting point that authentication makes more
interesting.  On receive, we get a time stamp when the packet arrives.  We can
take all day to inspect the packet and run authentication code.  On transmit,
we grab the time and put it in the packet.  All the delays between then and
when the packet hits the wire are contributing to a misleading time stamp.
Authentication code is on that path.  The same thing happens on both client
and server.  If they are similar CPUs, the offsets should cancel.  If not, ...
 I think we can measure this by comparing IPv4 and IPv6 with NTS on one.