Anybody know anything about Windows?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jun 30 12:22:12 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> Has anybody tried building ntpsec on Windows?  Cigwin?  I'm just curious.  How
> close are we?

Pretty far away.  I stripped out most of the old Windows build support because it
showed clear signs of bitrot and obsolete assumptions. I left in a crucial bit
related to how you have to adjust the clock under Windows.

It could be re-ported, with sufficient determination. If I were going
to do it in C I'd use one of the Unix-based cross-compilation
toolchains rather than native Windows tools or Cygwin - you get much
better conformance to modern C and POSIX that way, which is important
because the port shims you need to use if you don't have close
conformance are major, *major* defect attractors.

I specified "in C" because if we move the gode to Go everything
changes.  In theory Go is written so that with a little care in the
use of the filesystem API cross-compilation should Just Work. In
practice I don't know if Go actually cashes that check and am
skeptical that it does.

A third complicating factor is that MS is moving towards being able to run
Linux binaries natively under Windows.  It is entirely possible that in
another two years we won't have a porting problem at all.