Problems with NTS support

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 03:23:29 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 6:42 PM Gary E. Miller via devel
<devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Yo Watson!
>
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 18:23:03 -0700
> Watson Ladd via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:
>
> > It seems that to use NTS to authenticate a server one must also
> > configure the local ntpd daemon to serve NTS. This is a barrier to
> > adoption: lots of systems take the time but don't set it.
>
> Nope.  I just tested it.  Not required.

Ah I figured it out. server hostname nts just works.

I wonder why it didn't work on the other system. Will leave as
mystery. And there is interop both ways. Plus the build on freeBSD is
pretty painless once dependencies are installed.
And openssl 1.1.1c Just Works with it.

Thanks for all your help in this process. It's been a long slog since Prague.

> > ntpdig doesnt seem to have NTS options, which prevents me from using
> > it as a quick testing tool.
>
> Yup.
>
> RGDS
> GARY

"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau.