✘"\x07ntske/1"

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jul 24 16:46:12 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 07:56:03 +0200
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> > Which is not what the hackathon people thought.
>
> So, you can mind-read now and expect everyone else to do the same?

Nope.  I only pass on exactly what they said they thought.

> What was the problem they've had and how didi they say they wanted to
> solve it?

The problem is that competing NTS implementation can not connect
because their ALPN differs.

> > Can you point out where in the API so I can ask the Hackathon
> > people?
>
> It's literally the first hit on "OpenSSL ALPN":
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/man3/SSL_set_alpn_protos.html

But how does that apply to NTS?  And I really do not intent to get
sucked into looking at the code.  I'll leave that to Hal and Daniel
once they can get agreement with the Hackathon participants on the
proper ALPN.

> > Do you know where this is in the NTPsec code?
>
> It's in ntpd/nts_client.c and ntpd/nts_server of course.

Once again, I do not intend to get sucked into the code.

> The correct algorithm would go something like this: for each permitted
> protocol (just one for NTS at the moment), check if "inlen" matches
> the length of the protocol string requested.

Can you go on the slacck channel and see if that works for all the
hackathon participants?