ntp.conf changes for NTS

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Jan 31 19:02:27 UTC 2019

Richard Laager via devel writes:
> On 1/30/19 2:32 PM, Achim Gratz via devel wrote:
>> Again, leave server for plain NTP and use a new keyword.
>
> Perhaps you already did and I missed it, but can you explain why we need
> a new top-level keyword rather than an option?

That creates an easily recognizable boundary between the two protociols.
It also guarantees to leave any config just using the old keywards
untouched.

> What is your config proposal for handling pools? Note that the
> fundamental difference between "server" and "pool" is that "pool" spins
> up multiple associations. It seems to me that we need some way to
> preserve that behavior when combined with NTS, such that I could ask for
> "nts.some.pool.org" and ntpd would spin up multiple associations.

I'd prefer if the config spelled out how many associations you wish to
mobilize.  You could either have multiple lines of nts statements or we
could have an option to explicitly ask for multiple servers.

The RFC is underspecified w.r.t. pools in my opinion, I think you'd need
to reconnect to the NTS-KE, but at least need to re-key the TLS session
before asking for the next server in that scenario.

Regards,
Achim.