ntpq change in behaviour

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 22 20:59:38 UTC 2019

> Before I forget: I really don't care about when I've configured the project.
> Can that date please be the date of the corresponding commit (if it's there
> at all) and the version string something that git describe puts out, like
> NTPsec_1_1_3-35-g6c029ef4c (which is way more helpful to me in figuring out
> which code I run at which server).  ALso, please find a way to update the
> version string without requiring to re-configure the whole tree.

I think there are 2 cases for the version string I'd like.

If I have made local edits, I want the build date.  That's the best summary of
the edits I've made.

If I have a clean clone I want the git tag.  If I have a tarball, I want
whatever the tarball provides.

If you hang out with geeks in this area, they want to know everything: the
version of the compiler, the compiler flags, ... the OS the compiler is
running on...  as well as the parameters to configure.  That ends up with the
version string being a tag for a slot in a database.