lockclock runtime option

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jan 22 02:57:14 UTC 2019

Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>:
> On 1/21/19 2:28 PM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> > I don't either, and I think there is no functional point in trying to cope
> > with that. So I'm going to deal with this by adding to the documentation a
> > line that says changing this flag at runtime may produce undefined behavior.
>
> Is it easy to disallow changing this particular flag on this particular
> driver at runtime?

Not really. The problem is ntpq - one would have to build special logic into
either ntpq (ugh!) or the control-message interpreter to disallow it.

If I were going to do this at all, I'd add a per-driver mask that the
control-message interpreter uses to block attempts to set flags after
initial config time.  But I don't think the utility would be worth the
complexity cost.