The key-manahement argument

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 20 00:30:26 UTC 2019

> The NTS-KE servers would have to share NTS master keys (and cookie formats!)
> with volunteer NTP servers.

If you are interested in security, sharing a master key with many servers
seems like a bad idea - too many opportunities for a leak.  With something
like the pool where anybody can join (and thus get the key), security is no
longer possible.

There are actually two parts to TLS security.  One is the technical side.  Can
the crypto be broken?  Has the secret key leaked?  The other is trust.  Do you
trust the name you are using?  The name you used could be a malicious clone of
a legitimate name: F00 vs FOO.  Or the correct company could be untrustworthy.

The pool might be a good way to test NTS code.  I don't see how to get a
serious level of trust with volunteer effort.

We can avoid sharing the master key with many NTP servers if the NTS-KE server
contacts the selected NTP server to get the initial cookies.  That requires
secrecy on that connection.  That could be TLS and hence another certificate
or a shared key.