First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Jan 19 02:33:22 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 20:24:15 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 1/18/19 8:21 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Once again: there is no TLS session between NTPD client and NTPD
> > server.
>
> As I quoted, from section 1.2 of draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-15:
>
> "The client connects to an
>  NTS-KE server on the NTS TCP port and the two parties perform a TLS
>  handshake.  Via the TLS channel, ..."

I know you said that.

You are talking about the NTS-KE to NTPD server connection.

I am talking about the NTPD client to NTPD server connection.

Since they both need to work the same way we need to look at them
at the same time.

> Am I reading the wrong draft?

No, just reading it wrong.

Looked at yet another way, the draft suggest to rotate the master key
once a day, same master key on NTS-server and NTPD server.  But TLS
uses a new master key every connection.

How do you propose that the NTS-KE (with TLS) and NTPD (without TLS)
server share the same master key for one day using a master key from
ephmeral TLS connections to the NTS-KE?

Can't fit a round peg in the square hole.