First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Jan 19 01:58:23 UTC 2019

I believe we already agree that NTS-KE generates cookies and that
generation process requires C2S and S2C. The question is where to C2S
and S2C come from.

On 1/18/19 7:26 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> Yes, just for THAT session.  And only for NTS-KE connections.  No
> NTPD client to NTPD server TLS session ever exists.
The client connects to the NTS-KE server over TLS. The TLS session
master_secret, client_random, and server_random are used (through the
TLS session's PRF) by client and server to derive C2S and S2C as
previously described, using the RFC 5705 algorithm.

From section 1.2 of draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-15:

"The typical protocol flow is as follows: The client connects to an
 NTS-KE server on the NTS TCP port and the two parties perform a TLS
 handshake.  Via the TLS channel, the parties negotiate some
 additional protocol parameters and the server sends the client a
 supply of cookies along with a list of one or more IP addresses to
 NTP servers for which the cookies are valid.  The parties use TLS key
 export [RFC5705] to extract key material which will be used in the
 next phase of the protocol.  This negotiation takes only a single
 round trip, after which the server closes the connection and discards
 all associated state.  At this point the NTS-KE phase of the protocol
 is complete.  Ideally, the client never needs to connect to the NTS-
 KE server again."

--
Richard