First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Jan 19 00:23:53 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 18:15:51 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 1/18/19 6:12 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Yes, but you left off the next paragraph.  That is, the SHALL
> > inputs are:
>
> As I explained, these are inputs to the RFC 5705 algorithm...

I agree, that is why I pointed out thoe inputs.

NONE of them are from the TLS session.

Once again:

      The per-association context value SHALL consist of the following
      five octets:

         The first two octets SHALL be zero (the Protocol ID for NTPv4).

         The next two octets SHALL be the Numeric Identifier of the
         negotiated AEAD Algorithm in network byte order.

         The final octet SHALL be 0x00 for the C2S key and 0x01 for the
         S2C key.

NONE of them are from the TLS session.

> > Nothing in there about using anything from the current TLS
> > session.
>
> ...which uses the master_secret, client_random, and server_random from
> the TLS session.

Uh, which master_secret?  Where did it come from?  It MAY be the TLS
master_secret, but RFC 5705 does not specify that explicitly.  It may
be nice to use the TLS master_secret, but not required.