First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 18 22:44:43 UTC 2019

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:28:56 -0600
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > Thanks, that seems to prove my point.  The S2C and C2S are
> > 'extracted' not 'dependent'.
>
> RFC 5705 starts, "A number of protocols wish to leverage Transport
> Layer Security (TLS) [RFC5246] or Datagram TLS (DTLS) [RFC4347] to
> perform key establishment but then use some of the keying material
> for their own purposes."

"wish" is not MUST.  Just because we use Transport Layer Security (TLS)
[RFC5246] to send the cookie(s) does not mean it is intertwined with the
cookie contents.

> Unless I'm misunderstanding, that is exactly what is going on here...

We at least fail in a common understanding of what is not yet going on
here.

> NTS-KE uses TLS. Then the TLS session is used to provide keys to
> NTS-KE for ultimate use in NTP.

I think we are confusing different session keys.  There are the session
keys created for the current TLS session.  They are, potentially,
unrelated to the session keys in the NTS cookie.

> Hal's original statement was, "You can't precompute cookies.  They
> contain S2C and C2S which depend on the TLS sesson key."

And I still disagree.

> While there is technically nothing called a TLS session key in the TLS
> standard, the use of "session key" in this context is quite common.

Yes, and that session key is not the C2S or S2C session key.

> I understand Hal's point to be: S2C and C2S depend on the TLS
> session's master secret, etc., and thus require the TLS session to be
> fully established.

I also understand that to be Hal's point.  And I still believe that
is an over-reading of the RFCs.

Maybe we want to derive C2S and S2C from the TLS session, but I do not
see that as mandated.

> Therefore, you cannot compute cookies prior to a
> particular TLS session being established.

And I disagree with that.  Not to be mistaken for me wanting them to
be precomputed.