First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 10:16:33 UTC 2019

Gary said:
>>> Just look to the SSL/TLS mess for how upwardly compatible change in
>>> crypto can be badly managed.
>> That's a public API.  The cookie format is private.
> Uh.  lost me?

SSL/TLS is documented in various RFCs.  That's what public means.  We expect
systems written by different groups to interoperate so all the details need to
be documented.

Only the NTP server needs to know the format of a cookie.  It doesn't need to
be documented.  That's what private means.

If you want the NTS-KE server to generate initial cookies rather than asking
the NTP server for them, then you have to bundle the NTS-KE server with the
NTP server.  That makes them semi-private.  You have to keep both ends in sync.

But we already have to keep both ends in sync since the the protocol between
NTS-KE server and NTP server is also private.  Same for NTP client and NTS-KE
client.  We could document those if we wanted to give the admin more choices.

That all assumes we are packaging NTS-KE server and NTS-KE client as separate
run time programs.  That seems unlikely for the client.  It's also unlikely
for the initial server, but reasonably likely for the future.