First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 06:14:49 UTC 2019

Achim said:
> No.  What the heck is an NTS client supposed to be?

> There is no separation of NTS and NTP server either, an NTS server is
> supposed to answer plain NTP clients with the old style NTP packets.

I think there is confusion on the names and/or the way chunks of code get
packaged.

NTS is short for NTS-KE, not a NTP that supports NTS,  NTP is short for a
system that supports NTP with NTS and probably old NTP requests too.

The current ntpd is both client and server.  The diagram shows them in
separate boxes.  Note that the NTP client talks to a NTP server in a different
system so there has to be some communication.