First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 18 05:19:06 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 17:54:28 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Ian Bruene said:
> > NTS-KE needs cookie generation because it has to render onto the
> > client  the initial cookie stock.
>
> Right.  But it doesn't actually have to generate them itself.  It
> could also get them from the NTP-server.

True.

> The idea is to take advantage of a connection to the NTP-server to
> offload as much complexity as possible.

Seems more comples to me.  Now there are a ton of cookies that the
NTS-KE has to store, and yet another connection protocol.

>  What does the NTP-KE-server
> do with the master key?

Make cookies.

> Can we push all that to the NTP-server?

Can?  Yes.  Good idea?  No.

> I think what I'm proposing is that NTP-KE-server is minimal.  Can we
> make it just a TLS wrapper on an initial connection from NTP-client
> (via NTS-KE-client) to NTP-server?

Minimal, except now a large cookie storage acquisition and storage
problem.  This could be tens of thousands of cookies!

> I like Gary's suggestion of making most of the NTS-KE-client a
> library so we can package it stand alone or with NTP-client.  I think
> the same applies to NTS-KE-server.

Maybe parts of it, but only the NTS-KE needs to have a TLS server.