First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 03:33:00 UTC 2019

Eric said:
>> So, how does the NTS-KE and NTPD server know what cookie format(s) are
>> in use?  How does the NTS-KE server know which cookie formats to issue
>> for which NTPD servers?
> That's a question for Daniel. I hope he'll answer it.

Seems simple to me.  The programmers and/or sysadmins have to get it right.

Suppose you want to change the cookie format.

Plan A:
  Install new software.
  Restart NTP-server and NTS-KE-server.
  Old cookies won't decrypt so will get NACKed.
  NTP-client uses NTS-KE to get new cookies.

Plan B:
  Install/restart a new NTP server that supports both old and new cookies.
  Install/restart a new NTS-KE-server that gives out new cookies.
  Wait a while.  All old cookies will go away.

Plan C/D:
  Same as above except the NTS-KE-server gets the cookies from the NTP-server
so there is no need to install/restart the NTS-KE-server.  It will have to
make a new connection to the new NTP-server.