First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 01:54:28 UTC 2019

Ian Bruene said:
> NTS-KE needs cookie generation because it has to render onto the client  the
> initial cookie stock.

Right.  But it doesn't actually have to generate them itself.  It could also
get them from the NTP-server.

The idea is to take advantage of a connection to the NTP-server to offload as much complexity as possible.  What does the NTP-KE-server do with the master key?  Can we push all that to the NTP-server?

I think what I'm proposing is that NTP-KE-server is minimal.  Can we make it just a TLS wrapper on an initial connection from NTP-client (via NTS-KE-client) to NTP-server?

------

I like Gary's suggestion of making most of the NTS-KE-client a library so we can package it stand alone or with NTP-client.  I think the same applies to NTS-KE-server.