First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 18 01:11:42 UTC 2019

>> We could restart
>> NTP-server or NTS-KE-server as long as the other end stayed up and we
>> arranged to send the keys in both directions.

> well, you sorta need a key to do that, right?  Seems circular...

When they are up and running, both the NTP server and the NTS-KE server know
the master key.  If you restart one end, it can ask the other for the key.

>> There is another problem area: who makes the initial certificates.

Sorry.  Typo on my end.  certificates => cookies.

Do both NTP-server and NTS-KE-server have to know the new-cookie recipe?  Does
NTS-KE-server need the master key for anything other than generating cookies?
Does it work if only the NTP-server has the master key and the NTS-KE-server
gets cookies and S2C and C2S from the NTP server?