First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Jan 17 21:21:41 UTC 2019

Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> So, how does the NTS-KE and NTPD server know what cookie format(s) are
> in use?  How does the NTS-KE server know which cookie formats to issue
> for which NTPD servers?

Purposely unspecified in the RFC, so up for your imagination.  Again,
NTS-KE and NTPD are conceptually tightly coupled and interoperability
between different vendors is obviously not expected, at least not
initially.  If it was, you'd likely have to open a big can of worms with
some sort of PKI involved.

So for practical purposes, these two "know each other" and that's why
they use the same cookie format.

Regards,
Achim.