First round of my stupid questions about NTS

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Jan 17 19:52:18 UTC 2019

Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > Charlie requests a master key (and possibly initial cookies) daily
> > from Delta.
>
> Does he?  Where does the Proposed RFC say that?  It could just be a one
> time config file entry.

I'm going by what it says in nts.adoc:

"We could also send the initial cookies over that channel
so that only NTP-server knows the cookie format."

> > It may do so simply by looking in fixed file locations
> > for the data.  Is there any plausible scenario in which Charlie and
> > Delta must run on different hosts?
>
> I see Alpha and Bravo as the same location.  Not Charlie and Delta.
>
> Any and every data center will split Charlie and Delta.  One NTS-KE
> server per aisle and NTPD spread down the aisle.  This is how Mark
> initially described it to me.
>
> Charlie may have the keys stored in a special HSM.  Delta is any
> random VM spun up and spun down randomly.

OK, I'm adding this to nts.adoc.

> I think NTP and NTS are too vague.  I'd rather see NTS-KE and NTPD.

Please do this edit yourself so I can be certain it conveys your mental model

> Also left out is that Bravo is likely, in turn, being a Delta.

True, but not reslevant to the purpose of this diagram.