ntpd: program structure

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jan 15 03:20:22 UTC 2019

> > Good to know.  Yeah, NTP at that volume is sure not going to saturate even a
> > smartphone, let alone anything you'd put in a desktop or server case.
>
> I can get 20k pkt/s through a Pi 3.

So, to a reasonable first approximation, a RasPi 3 could handle PTB's
load with 50% headroom.  That's...hilarious. I mean, does anyone doubt that
NTP's load is dominated by network stalls? ... No? ... I didn't think so.

This is actually reassuring in another way as well. With that much
headroom there is no way a Go port is going to hit performance issues
that C code wouldn't.