NTS keys as I understand them

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Jan 11 03:58:44 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 19:49:33 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > The client does not update his cookie(s), he just asks the NTS-KE
> > for new ones when the NTPD NAKs the one he has been using.
>
> Not quite.  An important idea is that cookies are only used once.
> That prevents bad guys from tracking you.
>
> In the normal case, the client sends a cookie and gets back an
> encrypted cookie.

Ah, there is is Section 1.2 page 6:

    "The NTP server uses the cookie to recover this key material and
    send back an authenticated response.  The response includes a fresh,
    encrypted cookie which the client then sends back in the clear in a
    subsequent request. "

> The client starts with 8 cookies.

Maybe.  Section 4.1.8, page 11:

    "Servers MUST send at least one record of this type, and SHOULD send
    eight of them,"

>  If a packet gets lost, the next
> request includes a single cookie-please slot.  The server returns an
> extra cookie so the client is back to 8.  The cookie-please slot has
> the same length as a cookie slot so you can't use cookie-please as an
> amplifier.  If more then 1 packet has been lost, more then one
> cookie-please slots can be sent.

I can't find this near the keyword 'please' in the Proposed RFC.
Where?

> If 8 packets are lost, the client has to go through NTS-KE again.

Replace 8 with n.  Lost or NAK'ed.

We are gonna need a timeline for all these packet exchanges.