ntpd: program structure

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Wed Jan 9 18:30:45 UTC 2019

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
>> I could try to contact the responsible person for NTP at PTB if you
>> can't get at information from NIST.
>
> Probably a good idea to have PTB figures even if we *can* get some from NIST.

I've sent the questions off, let's see how responsive they are.

Some numbers I already gleaned from PTTI papers that they've made openly
available (not the newest one, unfortunately):

In 2006, the two servers were based on a Pentium-M @ 1.6GHz and got 300…500
requests per second, these were apparently telco COTS VMEbus cards.

In 2008 a third server was added.  No further details available, I can
only get at the abstract.

By the end of 2016 the request rate grew to about 7000 per second (not
specified which server, so I assume for all three).  The paper didn't go
into any further details of the NTP service.

The time synchronization of the NTP servers to the CS2 clock (UTC) has
changed several times, and at least from 2009 to 2014 involved PTP (was
DCF-77 IRIG-B steering signal and / or PPS before).  It's been detailed
that the PTP was via a PCI based card and improved short-term (10…100s)
and long-term >30000s time stability, but slightly worsened medium term
stability.

Further changes to the NTP infrastructure that I can't get details of
(for lack of access to the paper) are mentioned in the 2018 PTTI
abstract.

Regards,
Achim.