starting Network Time Security work

Mark Atwood mark.atwood at ntpsec.org
Wed Jan 2 09:14:47 UTC 2019

Hi!

We need to pivot our development focus to implementing Network Time Security.

Cisco is sponsoring this work, and has asked that we make our best effort at it.  I'm confident that they will be very impressed with what our best effort is.

Our contacts at Cisco are Panos Kampanakis, Jonathan Gardner, and Andrew Benhase.

Our first deliverable is a blog post announcing our partnership with them and announcing our intentions to make this happen.
The draft of that post is checked into the blog/_drafts/ dir now, and I will publish it tomorrow.

Here are the requirements:
The NTS implementation shall:
* Use OpenSSL 1.1.1 for its crypto functions.
* Address RFC5705 Keying Material Exporting and AES_SIV (RFC5297) code support which may not be natively supported in OpenSSL.
*comply with the standardized specification of NTS https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp
* be interoperable with the other reference implementations in IETF hackathons.

Our deliverables are a "first drop" and an "interoperable drop".   The SOW schedule has the first drop by the end of February, and the second drop by the end of May.  That same schedule hoped we would have all the paperwork done by the end of November.  As long as we show progress, velocity, and good practice, those dates are not dropdead deadlines, just strong guidelines.

This is going to be fun, and will get us a new cohort of users.

..m

..𐑠𐑸𐑒
Mark Atwood <mark.atwood at ntpsec.org>
Project Manager of the NTPsec Project