NTS: Client side, ask and require

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Feb 24 23:01:43 UTC 2019

What do these mean?

       ask address
           Use Network Time Security for authentication and encryption. Ask
           for a specific NTS server, which may differ from the NTP server.
           Conforms to RFC 3896 section 3.2.2 prescription for the Host part
           of a URI: that is, the address may be a hostname, an FQDN, an IPv4
           numeric address, or an IPv6 numeric address (in square brackets).
           The address may have the suffix :port to specify a UDP port.

       require address
           Use Network Time Security for authentication and encryption.
           Require a specific NTS server, which may differ from the NTP
           server. Address syntax is as for ask.

--------

 I can't figure out what combination of NTS-KE server and NTP server those are
trying to describe.

We get a text string after the "server" command.  Normally, that's the NTP
hostname.  If it is followed by "nts", it becomes the NS-KE server name and
default NTP server name.

The NTS-KE exchange may return a string which is a name or address of the NTP
server to use.  (currently ignored)  You can also request a specific address.