ntpq and friends

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Feb 21 14:21:29 UTC 2019

> It's a lot better.  I haven't seen digits replacing the u.
>
> The hostname isn't getting printed out in a few cases:

I can't reproduce this.  After last night's fix everything looks normal here,
including just after restart.

If found the bug that was producing garbage ntscookies values. Signed-vs-unsigned
screwuo, I had putuint where it needed putint.

If you're still not seeing cookie counts on an NTS connection, the problem
is likely in pylib/utils.py::Summary.  The way to check this is to start up,
wait for a cookie exchange, then do the following steps

1. Run ntpq
2. Call 'assoc'
3. Set 'debug 3'
4. Do pstats on a valid association ID from the assoc display.

The last line in the report from step 4 should be "ntscookies" followed
by a number.  If the number is > 0 but you're still not seeing a digit in the
't' column then the problem is in pylib/utils.py, probably around line 1089
or 1112.

If the number is 0 or -1 then for some reason the cookie counter
p->nts_state.count is not getting incremented in ntpd.