First steps towards NTPv5

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Feb 18 22:11:50 UTC 2019

Whle awaiting Daniel's libaes_siv release and the unjamming of our CI,
I did some serious design work on the NTPv5 proposal at
devel/ntpv5.adoc.

It's no longer a disconnected grab-bag of wishlist items.  I've
brought it to a state that is, in principle, implementable.  Though the
change in datestamp representation would make for some significant
difficulties in practice.

I've led it off with a rationale for why NTPv5 is something that
actually needs to happen and should be deployed well before the era
turnover in 2036.

Interested parties should read and comment.  I particularly want to
know if the design might founder on assumptions I'm not aware of
making.

A man with a gun is a citizen.  A man without a gun is a subject.