The libaes_siv dependency

Jason Azze jason at azze.org
Fri Feb 15 11:50:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019, at 12:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond via devel wrote:
> I've added a mandatory waf check for the libaes_siv library.
[snip]
> At some point it will probably be taken into OpenSSL and this separate
> dependency will go away.

Hmmm. I certainly understand why this is necessary to move forward with NTS development, but it leaves me unsure how to proceed with the CI system I run (separate from the GitLab CI that Matt manages).

My, admittedly arbitrary, approach is to build NTPsec on various Linux distros using the NTPsec source code from GitLab and only _packaged_ dependencies from those distros. I chose this approach because I think it's something a conservative sysadmin would be willing to do if they wanted to try NTPsec as a replacement for classic. Package maintainers will also be looking for a simple build process.

Now that we've introduced a dependency on a "third-party library" (even though Daniel ain't really a third party!) that isn't packaged by anyone as far as I can tell -- my builds are all broken. And I think they should remain broken until they again meet my arbitrary standard.

I also wonder if the distro packagers who've been friendly to the project so far will be willing to build a third-party dependency. But I'll let them speak for themselves.

I predict that ESR will ask me for an alternative approach. He won't like my recommendation. It's to use a feature or development branch for a change as big as the introduction of NTS.

--
Jason