Going forward with NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Feb 5 22:05:52 UTC 2019

Thanks.

Please make sure this gets on your list.  Do you have a list for NTS or should
I make an issue for it?

I haven't looked at the code recently.  This seems like a good opportunity for
a review and cleanup and/or the addition of a good comment discussing the
thread area.

I think the current code writes the date and payload as separate chunks.
Maybe the "ntpd[9149]:" is another chunk.

Each line can go to several places:
  syslog
  console
  log file
I think the current code doesn't support syslog and log file but I'd like to
fix that.

syslog adds date and prog[pid].
We want the date on the console, but the prog[pid] would just be clutter
We want data and prog[pid] in the log file.

If we don't need to skip over the prog[pid] for the console, we could just
make one string with everything and skip over the front stuff for syslog.  If
we want to skip prog[pid], we can use writev().

Do we want to include the thread ID if not the master thread?