Docs we will need

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Feb 4 19:44:48 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> Here is an example that I've encountered.  Suppose you have 6 servers with
> minsane set to 3 all using each other.  When recovering from a power failure
> everybody ends up waiting for everybody else to get started.

Bootstrapping such configurations is indeed not well supported.  Add
more dependencies and get more failure modes.  I have a similar problem
when I power cycle my rasPi: the GPS has no backup battery and will take
some time to get a fix and the rasPi has no RTC, so when they both come
up from a cold start "interesting" things happen.  All would be good if
I could boot using a simple client config, then switch over to the
"real" server config once I've confirmed everything has settled to
something sane.  So, some concept of up- and downgrading configurations
based on some external state would be welcome.

> Years ago, I worked for DEC in Palo Alto.  Power in our corner of the city was
> "interesting".  During the summer, our admin guys got a lot of practice in
> getting everything going after a power failure.  There was a sheet in the
> machine room with an ordered list of steps.

I visited DEC in Palo Alto one time and got to see the very first Alpha
mainboard (with an alcohol heatpipe made from a glass tube atop the
CPU).

Regards,
Achim.