Implementing NTS options

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Feb 2 22:01:30 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 10:08:17 +0100
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> >> Again. The barrier to entry for these is higher because they
> >> would need a non-trivial grammar modification. Tell me a real use
> >> case; explain why we should pay the complexity cost before we get
> >> an RFE from a real user.
> >
> > Real use case?  Because they are required by multiple RFCs.  We
> > are supposed to be implementing the RFCs.  Right?
>
> Changing the OpenSSL ciphersuites is typically done on system-level,
> application-level is not unheard of, but I haven't personally seen a
> per-server configuration.

Very common in the Apache, nginc, postfix and sendmail communities.

For example. you set one virtual server for cell phone clients, using
less strong ciphers, and another for admin clients with the strongest
ciphers.  So the cell phones are fast, and the admin is safe.

> >> And again.  OK name this time, but still looks like  gingerbread
> >> and chrome to me.
> >
> > As required in the Proposed RFC.
>
> The RFC says the client needs to tell the NTS-KE all supported
> ciphers. It doesn't say it must support different ciphers for
> different servers.

True, but it makes testing a LOT harder.  Making test easy is important.