Implementing NTS options

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Sat Feb 2 21:56:43 UTC 2019

Yo Eric!

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 04:18:26 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > The RFC says the client needs to tell the NTS-KE all supported
> > ciphers. It doesn't say it must support different ciphers for
> > different servers.

Small correction: cipher sets.  Multiple, incompatible. TLS1.2, TLS1.3
and AEAD.  We keep confusing the three sets.

> Yeah, that second part *really* didn't make any sense to me.

Ditto.  But the Proposed RFC says nothing about any other communication
or configuration between the NTS-KE and NTPD server.  It is up to us.

I assumed to start it would be just config files.

> So tell me: can we conform by *discovering* the cipher set at startup
> time and shipping that list to NTS-KE?

Remember, the cipher sets are runtime dynamic.  They can change under
you in an instant.  So replace startup time with runtime.

To find the TLS 1.2 cipers:

	openssl ciphers -v | fgrep TLSv1.2

To find the TLS 1.3 cipers:

	openssl ciphers -v | fgrep TLSv1.3

I have no idea how to find possible AEAD algorithms.