NTS client configuration support has landed

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Feb 2 08:49:01 UTC 2019

> What's wrong with MAC authentication when used with a good algorithm?

Nothing much.  I wrote that when I thought MD5 and SHA-1 were still
all we had.

I do like removing features when they've been functionally superseded.
I lean heavily on reduction of complexity and attack surface because
that's the only kind of security-hardening I know how to do really
well.

That said, I know the point at which it's all NTS all the time and we
can ditch MAC authentication is years out from now.

> Actually, we should move it to an extension so we can phase out the old mode.

I like that thought.

> I'd be happy to reject MD5 and SHA1.  The current code supports any algorithm
> that libcrypto supports.  attic/digest-find will list a bunch of them.

Oh jeez. I had no iea. Would you please update
docs/authentication.adoc so it comes somewhere close to reflecting
reality?