NTS client configuration support has landed

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sat Feb 2 04:29:40 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> Gary said:
> > *ask [address]...
> > *require [address]...
> > More to come, but I'd rather not get too far ahead, as what I had thought was
> > consensus has disappeared.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Those are all interesting, but I was more interested in the
>   nts foo
> vs
>   server foo nts
> part of the discussion.
>
> Which one is preferable and why?

Long mail heading your way on this topic, but the TL;DR is that
it needs to be "server foo nts" in case we ever need to have a pool
nts flag (which I think is likely).

The nonorthogonality of one nts declaration head versus one option
flag, when it could have been two similar option flags, would
be too ugly to live.