NTS client configuration support has landed

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Feb 1 22:44:00 UTC 2019

Yo Eric!

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 17:24:15 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond via devel" <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > with <command> being a normal declaration. I can see this becoming
> > confusing due to refclocks looking like they would slot in, but
> > don't.
>
> Yep.

Lost me.  How did refclocks get in here?

>  Also, nts as a wrapper woudn't be materially different from nts
> as an option, just one stuck in a funny place.

Actually, it is very different.  More than half the options are not
shared between 'server' and 'nts'.  Confusing to the user to know which
options are valid where when the keywords are intertwined.  Confusing
to the programmer to test all the interdepencies.  Harder for error
messages to communicate the complexities.

> I'm glad you're paying attention to this.  I want you to get a handle
> on the role of semantic kinds in designing minilanguages

I find it easier if I imagine how to program the decoder it in my head.
If the required code is ugly, then the language is ugly.