ntp.conf changes for NTS

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Feb 1 18:31:13 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 10:23:26 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > Maybe expanded to ask for 3 pool servers:
> > nts nts-ke.example.com pool 3
>
> The current pool code doesn't work that way.  Maybe it should, but it
> doesn't. There is no way to specify how many servers you get.

Yes.  I put that there for discussion.  It worked.  How NTS works with
pools is something we all want but have yet to figure out.

I'dd add a note, but Eric removed all that text...

> There is a global variable specifying how many servers to get,
> Individual servers via "server" count.

But then how do I say I want 2 from this pool and 2 from that pool?

>  If you have more than one
> pool statement they both/all contribute.  If a pool server stops
> responding, it is discarded.  If you need more, it does another DNS
> lookup.

And, of course, that DNS thing is problematic with NTS...