NTP - big picture

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Feb 1 04:24:23 UTC 2019

Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> On 1/31/19 5:38 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Does openssl 1.1.1 support Go?  That is a Cisco requirement.
>
> More generally, is Cisco okay with Go?
>
> They might, for example, be embedding ntpd into their routers and not be
> okay with a move to Go. To be clear, I don't know that they are or
> aren't embedding ntpd / okay with Go. I'm just asking because it'd be a
> big waste to move from C to Go only to find out that Cisco is not okay
> with that.

True.  Mark, would you ask our contact>

> Personally, though, I'm skeptical of the idea to replace Python with Go.
> I do get the rationale for replacing C with Go.

When we were originally speculating about a future Go port, the thought
was to move the C and not replace the Python.

A couple months ago I was thinking about our project strategy while
the shower.  (Don't laugh, I have a lot of good ideas in the shower.
Physically relaxing hot water seems to be good for letting go of
preconceptions.)  And I realized we'd been planning it backwards.

Replacing Python with Go should happen first for these reasons:

(a) It's much easier than replacing the C.  Thus, it will give those of us
with weak or noexistent Go skills time and room to ramp up. (Ian and I are
already fluent.)

(b) Python library management is a mess that we want to get shut of.