ntp.conf changes for NTS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Feb 1 00:33:23 UTC 2019

Eric said:
> If there's another revision in process, I want to object to the binary
> request format.  Raises endianness issues for no good reason.  Better to use
> something like Motorola S-records for this.

I don't see how hex encoding helps anything.  You still have the problem of
are integers sent big-endian or little-endian.

I was expecting you to suggest JSON.  A lot of IETF work uses ASN1.

I'm not convinced your switch-to-text is appropriate for this problem.  The
key idea is that the basic NTP packet is small and fixed format.  Converting
to text either adds another dependency with a complicated API because it's
designed to handle complicated cases or we have to maintain another module to
do the marshalling/unmarshalling.

I'm probably biased.  I've been working with byte swapping for ages.

Adding extensions (which are necessary for NTS) complicates things.  I'm hoping that you would come up with a clean structure.