ntpq peers - poll column

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 5 22:56:41 UTC 2019

Deep in the ntpq code is this line:
  poll_sec = 1 << min(ppoll, hpoll)

poll_sec is what gets printed in the poll column of the peers printout.

hpoll is the local polling interval used to determine when to send the next
packet.
  It is also used to schedule DNS/NTS retries.
ppoll is the polling interval from the last reply received.

Does anybody know why the remote polling interval is interesting?  or rather,
why I shouldn't "fix" that?

I think it was useful with peer mode that we removed a long time ago.

Context is that I'm trying to tune/cleanup the DNS/NTS retry logic to reduce
log clutter.  I was using the poll column to monitor the retry timer but was
getting some confusing results.