disable_dynamic_updates report

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Aug 29 21:22:29 UTC 2019

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 14:06:25 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> >> By "floating", you mean uninnitialized?  In C that's going to mean
> >> it's
> false
>
> > Yes. My understanding of C is that anything not explicitly set has
> > whatever random value happens to be in that memory location.
> > Possibly  changed if certain unknown compiler options are chosen.
>
> I thought global variables were initialized to zero.

C11 states, page 12, section 5.1.2.2:

"All objects of static storage duration shell be initialized (set to
their initial values) before program startup.  The manner and timing of
such initializations are otherwise unspecified."

In this case, as defined in 6.2.4, "static" just means always allocated
(not on the stack, etc.).

So, IMHO, you can't expect zeros.