%m, #614

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Thu Aug 29 19:20:44 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 21:09:10 +0200
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >> _GNU_SOURCE should not always be defined, but it does need to be
> >> defined in certain cases.  For example, on glibc < 2.10, you need
> >> to define it to get strnlen() and struct ifreq.
> >>
> >> From glibc 2.10, you instead need _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > Yup, that's what I said.  It is the trut4h direct from the strnlen()
> > man page.  And your point is?
>
> That this is completely irrelevant since firstly,

Irrelevant, yet you keep bringing it up?  I'll save you the trouble
of stopping and stop this here.

> > Not "long dead".  gpsd keeps running into that issue.
>
> Guess what, SConstruct from gpsd doesn't define _GNU_SOURCE either.
> It's not even mentioned anywhere and that since over four years.  So
> tell me again how "gpsd keeps running into this issue" and why ntpsec
> should care?

See my previous messages, I'll not go around the track yet again since
you think it is not relevant.

> > The trick is to use feature macros only when needed.  This subjust
> > came up because the 'when needed' part needed clarification for
> > NTPsec usage.
>
> There is no trick to feature test macros.  You specify what your API
> is supposed to be and chose the set of macros that contain them (they
> need to be compatible).  Asking for one API and hoping to get another
> is however not a good use of them.

Sadly we do not get to pick the API.  The user picks the available
APIs when he picks a distro.  ntpsec must dapt to that.

> > Yup, sort of, but mutating the topic..  I think gpsd is now a good
> > example of how to do that correctly, and documented in the
> > SConstruct file.
>
> Looked at it and it does nothing of the things you seem to talk about.

Sigh.  You can lead a horse to water...

> In case you wanted to claim that gpsd doesn't use feature test macros:

Uh, not me.  Not sure who you are arguing with...

> So the lack of them in one place leads to a wild spread of those in
> many other places.  If you call that uncontrollable mess "doing it
> correctly" then we can agree to disagree.

Once again you changed the subject.  You conveniently snipped the
part I was commenting on.  I'll not pursue, for now, but this will
get cleaned up next release.