ntpsec | Converted stat_count struct to a module level global. (!1026)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 28 18:26:18 UTC 2019

Merge Request !1026 was merged

The Subject says "Converted stat_count struct to a module level global"

The code looks like it is un-struct-ing things.

Was that "a module level global" supposed to be "module level globals"?

What's the policy on this area?  I thought the general idea was to put things
into structs, but I never saw a good story on why that's a good idea.

Is the problem one of name space structure/clutter?  If I'm reading the code,
there isn't any difference between foo.counter and foo_counter.  The actual
names used are critical.

+extern uptime_t stat_stattime(void);
+extern uint64_t stat_received(void);
+extern uint64_t stat_processed(void);

-struct statistics_counters {
-	uptime_t	sys_stattime;		/* time since sysstats reset */
-	uint64_t	sys_received;		/* packets received */
-	uint64_t	sys_processed;		/* packets for this host */