%m, #614

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Aug 27 21:06:28 UTC 2019

Yo Achim!

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 22:54:43 +0200
Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller via devel writes:
> >> In that case, you need to be prepared for changed semantics in
> >> several places and I don't think ntpsec is set up to deal with
> >> that.
> >
> > Changed semantics?  No.  Simple existence of the prototpe is at
> > stake.

> strerror_r;

I was not talking about strerror_r().  I was talking about strnXXX()
and struct ifreq.

I'm well aware of that other issue.

> >> Well, if that's the ABI you are de-facto targeting, then make this
> >> the requirement.
> >
> > It is one of the choices.  NTPsec, and gpsd, try to be flexible to
> > what is available, not the other way around.
>
> If you want to be flexible about bugs, don't call it NTPsec.

Not at all what I meant.  Flexible about what NTPsec builds on, not
flexible about the end result.

> You already try to use both

Uh, not me white man....  Not my code.

> (as Hal likely found out already the hard way).

Yes, Hal is the one working on it.  James also did a lot of work on
strerror_r().  I'm just staying out of their way.

> You will either need to provide your own implementation that resolves
> the differences (Gnulib-style)

I guess you have not looked at Hal's latest commit's.  That is the
approach he took, to povide a shim.