✘NTS and ALPN

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Aug 20 22:16:10 UTC 2019

>>> But, it will break existing NTPsec NTS.  So upgrade to git head now
>>> if you use NTS.
>> What's the nature of the breakage?

> The ALPN changed to what the other NTS implementations are using.

I think I see what's going on.

Our NTS client doesn't check the ALPN string from the server.  So any
combination of our old/new clients and servers can talk to eachother.  (new
meaning git head and old meaning a week ago)

If other implementations of NTS client are checking the ALPN string from the
server, they won't interoperate with our old server.

This issue had been going on for a long time.  I never got the word that other
clients were having interoperability troubles.

In hindsight, it's obvious, but I probably assumed that other clients weren't
(yet?) checking the ALPN string returned from the server just like ours
doesn't.  Something like that is needed for backward compatibility while ALPN
is implemented.