Driver strategy - we need to decide among incompatible goals

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Fri Aug 16 18:56:11 UTC 2019

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> I read the Furuno specsheet and that indeed looks like a nice piece
> of equipment.  But Furuno lists it as discontinued, though. Can't find it
> for sale on eBay or elsewhere on the web; there are hints it might have
> EOLed in 2014.

The GT8736 is the same, just with the next-generation chipset and fully
active (I sent the link in response to Gary's question).  Based on their
recent modernization of their product line from GT87 to GT88, I fully
expect the appearance of a GT8836 within a year.  The simple fact that
Furuno keeps updating these with each generation of their chipsets
should tell you something about how deeply entrenched the M12 formfactor
and protocol actually is.  I'd estimate that the M12 (compatible)
protocol timing modules outnumber anything else in this space by roughly
three orders of magnitude based just on the number of cell towers that
use them.

Regards,
Achim.