Driver strategy - we need to decide among incompatible goals

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Aug 15 21:51:05 UTC 2019

Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> > https://www.cnssys.com/cnsclock/CNSClockII.php
>
> That says it is based on the LEA-M8

It is. Hambly told me his CNS Clock used to be OnCore M12-based, but
he now does OnCore emulation in firmware coupled to a u-blox and is
planning to drop that support at some point.

> > He too thinks the OnCore is obsolete and in the process of changing
> > his stuff over to ship u-blox binary packets.  *But* I liked him and I
> > think he has the potential to be a good friend of this project, so I
> > told him we'll refrain from outwright dropping the OnCore driver
> > until his switchover is done.
>
> Any link to the Oncore based product?  Does he really use the
> TSIP protocol?  Any doc?

I don't see one on the website.  I'll ask him when I talk with him next.

> > Next thing I'm going to do is revise our OnCore driver docs to add his
> > gear as a compatible hardware product.
>
> Can we get one to test?

I'm going to do my best to sweet-talk one out of him when I visit him
in two weeks.